I am a social scientist based at Stanford University where my research explores the use of technology for promoting transparency and accountability. This website reflects my interest the field of “Liberation Technology“. For other strands of my work and life, please visit http://viveks.info
- PhD in Social sciences, Maxwell School of Syracuse University (2005-10)
- M.A. Economics, Delhi School of Economics (1997-2000)
- B.A. Economics, St. Joseph’s College, Trichy, India (1994-97)
- Schooling, mostly at St. John’s Vestry, Trichy, India
- Academic research & program manager, Program on Liberation Technology, Stanford University (starting 2011) [A view of the beautiful Stanford campus with Photosynth]
- Lecturer, course on ‘Internet, public action & development’, Stanford University
- Instructor, Politics of South Asia, Maxwell School of Syracuse University (2005-10)
- Coordinator, Right to Food Campaign, India (2002-05)
- Policy Coordinator, National Alliance for the Fundamental Right to Education, India (2001-02)
- International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), (2000)
- Constitution Explorer, a structured database of constitutions that will help people identify how different constitutions have dealt with various problems. I started this initiatives with colleagues at Stanford, and the idea was adopted half-way through the project by colleagues in University of Chicago and University of Texas, and it is now alive as www.constituteproject.org
- Secretariat to the Commissioners of the Supreme Court in the Right to Food litigation: The Supreme Court of India appointed Dr. N.C. Saxena and (the late) Dr. S.R. Sankaran as commissioners in what is known as the ‘right to food litigation’. I established their secretariat and worked with them for three years. The commissioners have been instrumental in framing many of the arguments in this landmark litigation.
- Placement cell, Delhi School of Economics: Started an initiative to set up the placement programme at the ‘D.School’ that has since become well-established and very successful.
Book Chapters (peer reviewed)
Conferences, Newspapers & Reports
[Contributor] Citizens’ Initiative for the Rights of Children Under Six. 2006. “Focus on Children under Six”. Delhi: Circus. [link].