Google custom search engine: frame size problem


I was excited at the prospect of adding Google CSE to my website – but it does not fit my 3 column site

I have always wanted to customise search engines and was thrilled when Google campe up wtih it’s CSE.  I quickly created a few.  Though they offer the codes to display the search in my site, I was not able to implement it in my wordpress site due to Javascripts.  This problem was solved by the an ingenuine idea at easywordpress.  Using the suggested method, I successfully got the CSE on my site and the results were displaying.

Unfortunately, the result frame size was larger than the width of my main column.  As a result, my other columns were being pushed down creating a totally awkward output.  I tried tweaking the javascript that google provided, but found that it was working.  After some search, I’ve found a reply by a google engineer that the minimum size for the Google CSE results is 500, more than my main column.  If I want ads on the right rather than the top, it has to be larger (atleast 700 px).  This effectively rules out Google CSE for my website.  It’s a pity, but I’ll have to live with it.


About Vivek Srinivasan

I work with the Program on Liberation Technology at Stanford University. Before this, I worked with the Right to Food Campaign and other rights based campaigns in India. To learn more, click here.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.